Mother’s Day 2022 Gifts: What San Clemente Moms Really Want?
SAN CLEMENTE, CA – What do San Clemente moms want from their families this Mother’s Day?
On Sunday, May 8, many will likely receive jewelry and a Mother’s Day brunch or dinner at the restaurant. These two categories drive a record $31.7 billion in Mother’s Day spending, up $3.6 billion from last year’s record, according to a report released last week by the National Retail Federation and Prosper Insight & Analytics.
If you’re planning on treating mom to brunch or dinner out, restaurant reservations are likely to go quickly throughout the area. Reservations are up 39% from 2019 before the pandemic and 13% from 2021, online reservation service OpenTable said last week.
And, according to an OpenTable survey, almost half (48%) of moms want to celebrate Mother’s Day at a restaurant. The survey of 1,255 adults also showed that 45% plan to make up for lost time during the pandemic by “going big” this year.
Some 84% of American adults said they plan to celebrate Mother’s Day with a gift, spending an average of $245 on their mothers and mother figures, according to the report. Jewelery stores alone are expected to record spending of $7 billion, according to the report.
A 2021 YouGov poll found that the top five gifts mums want are flowers, a heartfelt card, a spa gift certificate, jewelry and chocolate. However, most mothers are happy with the way their children honor them on Mother’s Day, with 58% saying they have never been disappointed by displays of affection from their children. according to the survey.
Need inspiration to find a gift? Check out these go-to places in Orange County for flowers, candy, spa treatments and event tickets — designed to put a smile on mom’s face:
- Aarna Spa at the Pasea Hotel in Huntington Beach: The Balinese-inspired spa will serve free bubbles for moms on Mother’s Day. Check here for reservations, services and gift certificates.
- Balboa Bay Resort: Would Mom want tickets to the next Wine & Spirits Festival in Newport Beach? The first night includes a five-course chef-prepared dinner. Links and ticket information.
- Bristol Farms: Locations in Irvine, Newport Beach and Yorba Linda offering take-out brunch for Mother’s Day, as well as artisan chocolates, freshly baked macaroons, a new red velvet bundt cake, plus vibrant, long-stemmed, grown roses in Ecuador.
- Butter + Bakery Cream: Dazzle mom and the family with a heart-shaped coffee cream cake from the boutiques of Los Alamitos and Laguna Niguel. Other pastries are also offered. Order here.
- San Juan Capistrano Ecological Center: What could be better than flowers for Mother’s Day? Arrangements you make yourself. A Farmhouse Bouquet Bar is May 7, featuring blooms, blossoms and seasonal favorites to create a personal gift. At 32701 Alipaz St. Details here.
- Floral philosophy: The Rancho Santa Margarita florist shop specializes in unique designs and you can also order online. At 22202 El Paseo Drive.
- Gelson Markets: Surprise Mom with chocolate covered strawberries, a cheese and charcuterie box for Mother’s Day or a variety of floral arrangements, including a bouquet of 25 locally grown tulips. Take-out meal options are also available. Order links here. Stores in Dana Point, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach and Rancho Mission Viejo.
- Heritage Hill Historical Park in Lake Forest: Plan a family day out and book a tour of the park’s 4.1 acres with four fully restored and furnished historic buildings. Info here.
- Hof’s Hut Restaurant and Bakery: It’s strawberry season at iconic Seal Beach, so show your sweet side and bring home a freshly baked strawberry pie or strawberry cream puffs.
- Laguna Playhouse: On May 7, the theater will host an exclusive screening of “Best Mom”, winner of the 2018 Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival. Tickets & info.
- Want a massage: Here’s an offer for Mother’s Day: buy a facial treatment by May 8 and get a second one free at participating establishments. Check here for locations near you.
- Assembly Beach Laguna: Treat the ladies in your life to a classic and elegant afternoon tea, Saturdays and Sundays until May 15th. Details and reservations here.
- 2022 Masters Competition: A special Mother’s Day ticket discount is running through May 8 through the Laguna Beach Arts Festival. Performances are from July 7 to September. 2. Use promotional code MOM22 when paying online. Info here.
- Paradise Cafe & Bakery: Plan a Mother’s Day breakfast in bed with Mission Viejo’s cinnamon rolls, croissants or quiche muffins. Find the menu here.
- Roger’s Gardens: May 7th and 8th is a Mother’s Day themed weekend for gardening enthusiasts. There is also a gift shop. Fresh cut flower arrangements can also be ordered. Link here. In Corona del Mar.
- Schmid’s of San Clemente Fine Chocolates: This shop on Avenida Del Mar is renowned for its top quality truffles and artisanal confections. Website here.
- South Bay Jewelry in Aliso Viejo: Serving Orange County for over 40 years, the family business specializes in estate pieces, rare gemstones and custom creations. Website. At 26705 Aliso Creek Road.
- SusieCakes: Stores in Costa Mesa, Laguna Niguel and Newport Beach are taking orders for sweet treats for Mother’s Day such as cupcakes, mini cupcakes, cookies and specialty cakes like Carrot, Marble and Southern Red Velvet . Order here.
- The pie hole: Head to localities in Anaheim or Orange and pick up a gift pack of bite-sized pies with filling inside for Mother’s Day.
- Waldorf Astoria Monarch Beach: Offer the gift of serenity to mothers loving meditation. The luxurious Dana Point property is offering a 90-minute Sacred Healing Ceremony led by Five Sense Collective on May 7-8. Tickets here. Spring spa specials also available. Info here.
Do you know of any other businesses in the neighborhood offering mom-worthy deals? Share with readers in the comments section.
What’s your idea of a perfect Mother’s Day gift? Tell us in the comments.