Hawks and Clorox Recognize Nine Atlanta Public School Teachers in Year of the Teacher Initiative
ATLANTA — Throughout the 2021-22 season, the Atlanta Hawks and Clorox honored nine Atlanta Public School (APS) teachers for their exemplary service contributions throughout an unprecedented school year in the framework of the “Year of the Teacher” initiative. The Hawks and Clorox donated more than $10,000 in product and support to the nine teachers.
“It’s been an honor to recognize local teachers all season with our partners, the Atlanta Hawks,” said Tad Kittredge, vice president and general manager of The Clorox Company. “These are the heroes who give so much, especially guiding students through the uncertainty of the past two years, and it’s a small way to show our appreciation and support them.”
The Hawks and Clorox accepted nominations for the public initiative, which began in November and continued into early March. Then a panel selected teachers for the honor, which included Clorox cleaning supplies for their schools, two tickets to a Hawks home game, in-game recognition as honorary co-captains of the game, and a $500 gift card for school supplies.
“On behalf of APS, I would like to thank Clorox and the Hawks for their continued support of our teachers and the schools that select our teachers through the Year of the Teacher initiative,” said Dr. Lisa Herring, Superintendent of Atlanta Public Schools. “Having these two great organizations recognize, celebrate and champion the hard work and dedication of our teachers has been a wonderful honor for APS. Congratulations to our teachers and thank you to Clorox and the Hawks for this exceptional recognition opportunity!
This season’s winners for “Year of the Teacher” include:
• Charles Astin – FL Stanton Elementary School second grade teacher
• Dorothy Chu – Grade 1 English teacher for Morris Brandon Elementary’s Dual Language Immersion Program
• Ce’Zane Grant – Second-year teacher at KIPP Woodson Park Academy
• Christine Mitchell – Coretta Scott King Young Women’s Leadership Academy Science and Math Teacher
• Deserae Obong – Humphries Elementary Special Education Teacher
• George Parker – Interdependent Special Education Teacher Grade 4 and 5 at Harper-Archer Elementary School
• Dr. Benita Simmons – STEM Specialist from Usher-Collier Elementary School in
• Gaynell Troy – Eighth grade math and computer science teacher at Herman J. Russell West End Academy
• Yesenia Visoso – Bilingual preschool teacher from Garden Hills Elementary
In April 2021, Clorox became the official cleaning and sanitizing product partner of Hawks and State Farm Arena in a multi-year partnership. In September 2021, the Hawks and Clorox joined forces to donate $100,000 and $10,000 of Clorox® Disinfecting Wipes to Atlanta Public Schools. The donation was presented by Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer and Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins to a group of teachers, staff and students at Emma Hutchinson Elementary School.
To learn more about the Year of the Teacher initiative and its winners, visit Hawks.com/Teacher. To learn more about Hawks’ work in the community, visit Hawks.com/Community.